
In the last 3 weeks, I've enjoyed reading through the writings of 3 quality Medieval Christian thinkers. Each work has brought about thought, challenge, and, in their own ways, an encouraging reminder that relational intimacy with Jesus is everything no matter what the circumstances..
The first mystic I've "hung out with" as of late, and the only female in the group, is Catherine of Genoa (1447-1510). She's the most emotional of the group (shocker since she's a lady right?) but the charitable quality of her life and her obvious passion for relational connection with God are beautiful. I won't bore you to tears with a summary of her life and work but leave you with a small sampling of the wisdom she's passed on to us today: “They (insights of the soul acquired through suffering) are seen in God, in whom they are more absorbed than in their own suffering, for the briefest vision of God far surpasses any human joy or suffering.” If that's not a helpful perspective in working through our guaranteed encounters with suffering in our lives, I don't know what is.
The next mystic with whom I'm been spending my time, the most time of the 3 in fact, is Thomas à Kempis (1380-1471). Thomas is the author of The Imitation of Christ which is a classic work of Christianity in both the Catholic and Protestant traditions alike. Reading a sentence of his book which spans over 200 pages was often like trying to read another book in its entirety. So much practical wisdom is contained in the pages of Thomas' work because it is truly filled with Scriptural references, analogies, and quotes that shed light on the Word of Truth in challenging and beautiful ways. While, as mentioned above, I know you could care less about me summarizing the work and life of this particular mystic, I hope that this section of his devotional guide where he gives 4 steps towards inward peace and rest (spoken from the voice of God) resonate within your spirit and encourage you today:
"Endeavor, my child, to do the will of another rather than your own.
Choose always to have less rather than more.
Seek always the lowest place and consider others better than yourself.
Wish and pray always that the will of God be completely fulfilled in you.
Behold, such a person enters into the realm of peace and rest."
Finally, the last and most well-known mystic I've been learning from is St. Francis of Assisi (1181-1226). Since he needs no introduction, I'll leave you to his prayer for peace that I've been praying over my own life over and over and over (did I mention "and over?") again.
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Hope you gained some quality encouragement and practical wisdom from these random musings on some long-gone mystics. We can certainly learn much from these passionate pursuers of Jesus. As you seek our beautiful Savior and the Lover of your soul this week, in the words of Paul, I trust that, "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)
1 comment:
Words of wisdom... Oh to know the Lord in such a way! When the saints go marching in, I want to be one of them.
Post a Comment