The lens of the cross: the view by which life must be considered and understood
(Photo: Ephesus ruins in Turkey, January 2010)
We can be sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. (Romans 8:28, MSG). Don't you just love God's attentive sovereignty? Sometimes life is tough. Sometimes circumstances flat out suck. All the time, being sick is appropriately described as "not fun." BUT, the beauty of walking with Jesus is that my Bridegroom has not only promised that there is a purpose behind my suffering, but also that He would be WITH ME through it all. Some of the sweetest moments I've had with Jesus in quite awhile have come in the last week when, with no energy to stand, read, sing, or speak I have just quietly rested in His arms of love.
He is jealous for me. (Ex. 20:5, all of Hosea). He is jealous for you. What sweet mercy that He would allow this sickness to come that I might be forced to stop and rest in Him. What tender love that He would bring circumstances into our lives that leave hopes disappointed, but expectations exceeded as He works things in only the way He can. What inestimable sovereignty when I recognize that what I thought was the worst set of circumstances for this period of my life were actually the perfect circumstances to draw my heart to His own.
So as I rest in His sovereignty today, I pray that you would do likewise in your present set of circumstances. We serve a God who is not only all-knowing and all-powerful, but also One who is loving, tender, and jealous for your affection, attention, and worship. Give whatever it is that is weighing you down to the One that is big enough to bear the burden. Please let me know how I can be praying for you and, if you've read this far, please pray for me as I seek to recover from my mono and still graduate from college and complete my job. Balancing rest and trust with prayer and action is still an element of faith I'm seeking to understand within the encompassing boundaries of His sovereignty.
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17
2 comments:
I've sat here miserably for one week fighting bronchitis-induced asthma, and all those wonderful symptoms associated with it. Never once did it occur to me "rest in His arms." How selfish am I, yet how wonderful He is, that He should lead me to your blog at this insane hour for a gentle reminder of Him. Thank you.
I am thankful for the example of your life and for your friendship. I am praying for your health, your restored body, and His continued provision and direction for each step you take.
I am proud of who you are in Christ and how you avail yourself to not just talk about missions, but actually get out and meet others needs, even when it costs you dearly.
You are a blessing to many. You are a blessing to me. I miss you and am assaulting the Throne of Grace for your restoration.
He will enable you to finish well!
Post a Comment